Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Fourth of July Week 2007

Swimming at Pampa and Grandma's!
Cousins!!
Me, Allie and Jordan

Hello! We had a great time during our visit to Michigan and Indiana this past fourth of July week. Most of you know the drama I have with my brother's wife, Shondell. She has made it very difficult the past three years or so to see my brother and their kids. She has always come up with some excuse or just made it very unpleasant to be around them/her. Well....we had a great visit on the fourth at Lowell and Donna's house and then later we took them with us to our friends Bill and Jodi Slager's house for fireworks. We spent about 8 hours with them. The kids got along great and we all had a relaxing time. The difference, of course, is that David and Shondell are now separated and will be getting a divorce. The kids have been spending nearly half their time with David and the rest with Shondell. They are hurting kids but they felt free to just be themselves. Apparently Shondell would rant and rave for days before a visit with us...about what? I have no clue! I didn't even ask. I didn't want to ruin our perfect day. Although divorce is not something that I condone generally, in this case it is quite necessary. I won't get too specific but, she was emotionally and verbally abusive to an extreme the entire time David was with her. It will take time for everyone to heal. On many levels, the kids are just getting to know their dad. They have to formulate their own opinion of him since their mother has degraded him for so long. Please be in prayer for this family. Pray that things go smoothly as possible during the divorce proceedings. Pray that Shondell gets some real help, and in the mean time pray she does not further damage their children's little hearts and minds.

O.k. Well, enough about that mess! I'll tell you more about our trip. We arrived late on Tuesday the 3rd and then in the morning on the fourth I went and picked up David and the kids. The kids swam while the adults talked and then we ate lunch. Lowell and David went to look at a van that the Slager family had for sale. (For the past 3-4 months David has not had a car. ) Thankfully after a few days of negotiation and figuring out how to arrange payment David got the van! Even though he says he doesn't mind riding his bike I know he and the kids will enjoy the freedom of having a vehicle. On the fifth we went to see my friend Karrie in GR. She just had her third baby, a little girl named Jordan. She is soooo cute! We had a nice visit there too. As soon as we got back to Lowell and Donna's from there my friend Stephanie and her girls came to see us for a short visit. That night we went to dinner at Wes and Kim's house. Yummy steaks and smores and lots of fun visiting. July 6th we headed down to Indiana after I had lunch with David. We had pizza at Lowell's cousin Wade's house while the kids played. This place is boy heaven! Each of Lowell's cousin's from that Aunt have only boys. The two oldest boys that are 14 are all about girls and their cell phones. Kyle is not quite "there" yet but he had fun teasing them about it. The boys played outside, did fireworks, took turns swinging on a rope swing over a steep hill (yikes!) and they wanted to shoot guns but I had to put my foot down somewhere! The next day we visited with Lowell's Aunt Jackie, who is wheelchair bound and lost her husband about two years ago. We had a nice breakfast and actually got to see one of her kitties! They usually hide from us, so the kids were thrilled to finally see one. Later that day we went to the mall. They have this animal rescue set up in there on the weekends. We almost got an adorable white lab mix with little black spots on his ears. Just adorable! But then I remembered that we are trying to sell a house! Puppy and carpet while selling a house just does not go together. I told the kids that if we ever see a white lab mix puppy with little black spots on his years that we will get him. I think I am pretty safe! That night we went back over to Wades for more boy fun and food! Allie was a little out of the loop but she liked playing with the youngest cousin, an 18 month old named Porter. That night we went back to our (cheap) hotel and got every one settled in when the rest of the place decided to get hopping....or should I say running and screaming past our rooms. ?! Argh! Then one of my worst fears became a reality. Jake slept-walked right out of the room! Luckily with all the other noise I was not really asleep so I heard the door creak and the light from the outside lights. I got him back to bed quickly and thanked the Lord for people who have no consideration for anyone but themselves at hotels. Of course I couldn't sleep after that until about 5:30 am...an hour and half before the alarm was set to go off. So that was our very fun....but very tiring trip! I think next year I will have to try to figure out a longer trip so we can see more people but not feel so busy.

2 comments:

Susan said...

It was so nice meeting you in person!! I will be praying for your brother and his family!!

Sue

Tracee said...

Sounds like lots of good fun!